Nathdwara H6 chondrite

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Nathdwara H6 chondrite

Postby David Entwistle » Sun May 18, 2014 10:24 am

I think I missed reports of the original fall, but see that there's a paper Fall, mineralogy and chemistry of Nathdwara H6 chondrite. The article is supposed to be available from Elsevier's web site, but I find accessing it problematical. The link provided should take you straight t the document pdf.

We report here for the first time the composition and mineralogical studies on a new meteorite, which fell in Dhayala ki Chappar (24° 58' 00.0" N, 73° 48' 27.0" E) 5 km NW of Nathdwara in south Rajasthan, India, on Dec. 25th, 2012. Mineralogical and compositional studies were carried out on a representative piece of the Nathdwara meteorite sample. The mineralogical composition of the meteorite has been found to be olivine (42 - 45 vol.%), feldspar (10 - 15 vol.%), orthopyroxene (23 - 25 vol.%), troilite (6 - 8 vol.%), and titanium bearing minerals (6 - 8 vol.%). Our investigations show that the Nathdwara meteorite belongs to H6 group of ordinary chondrites.

Nathdwara (provisional(?) no meteoritical bulletin entry as yet)
Fell 25th December, 2012
A single stone fell at Dhayala ki Chappar (24° 58' 00.0" N, 73° 48' 27.0" E), near the well known holy town of Nathdwara in Rajsamand District of Rajasthan, India, on 25th December 2012 at 18:20 hrs (local time).
David Entwistle

Return to BIMS Open Forum