EBay Shop - Kieran Davis Fossils

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

EBay Shop - Kieran Davis Fossils

Postby AndyExton » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:39 pm

Having a browse earlier today and came across the above store. Has anyone used this supplier or any comments on the samples that are available? I am keen to start a small collection but don't have the funds just yet to buy some large samples so looking at small samples of a few grams. The store is based in Wakefield.

The store can be found at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KD-Fossils/Meteorites-/_i.html?_fsub=2541597018&_sid=928242638&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Any highly recommended suppliers would be appreciated guys to help me to start picking up a few specimens.

Cheers
Andy
Andy
Scarborough, North Yorkshire
AndyExton

Re: EBay Shop - Kieran Davis Fossils

Postby Kieron » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi Andy,

I have bought a few slices of various NWA Ordinary Chondrites from KD Fossils and they were relatively cheap, but not that well prepared. The slices tend to be wedge-shaped. Not really a problem for me as they are displayed individually in plastic boxes, so you only see one face. Depends how picky you are, I suppose.

For top notch cutting and preparation (at a price) you can't beat Mirko Graul.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby msg-meteorites » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Not used them before Andy so can't comment. What sort of specimens are you after and at what sort of price point? Are you after a representative sample of a stone, an iron and stony iron? Best thing is to have a look around and then post any ebay or shop links here and we can advise on whether it's a good buy :-)

A good place to start which list a lot (not all) of the main dealers is here:

http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-dealers/

Have fun :-)

Cheers

Martin
Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA member 3387
msg-meteorites

Postby AndyExton » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi Kieron and Martin.

Yes thinking representative samples first off so irons, stony iron, etc. plus tektites / impactites. Budget wise several 10's of pounds initially per sample. As funds allow I can then look to purchase larger, more varied specimens. I must say that Mark Ford was kind enough to donate me a small H4 of NWA 267 following my initial email to him at the time of joining BIMS earlier this week that was among some specimens he had spare for schools.

I will do some searching and post anything of interest to get some feedback from you experts ;)

Andy
Andy
Scarborough, North Yorkshire
AndyExton

Postby msg-meteorites » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:07 pm

Will look forward to seeing what you come up with :-) And if you are ever in Lancashire just north of Manchester then let me know and i will show you my collection :-)

Cheers

Martin
Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA member 3387
msg-meteorites

Postby Barwellian » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:57 pm

The others have covered the advice well Andy...although I would add that if you wanted a representative of a pallasite...be very careful...some can fall apart in no time at all....best are Esquel and Imilac....but you will pay top price for those....best value at the moment is probably Seymchan which is transitional so can be all Nickel Iron or all pallasite or some of both....it is very stable and the price will only go up over time....wish I had bought more when it was just a couple of dollars per g. The quality varies a lot....but there are still some good transparent slices around.

Some irons are notorious rusters too...so best check that out before buying.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

Graham
Barwellian

Postby hetlaw » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:06 am

hello andy,
Yes. I have purchase some meteorites from him year ago. but what I found some of them are not meteorite. he has lot of "NWA 2950 H5 chondrite meteorite pea gravel uncut". which are just a terrestrial pebble at all. when I inform the seller about it he say he don't know much about meteorites and I got refund from him . Such a bad experience at all so my recommendation is only buy from well established dealer or IMCA member. hope this help.

Regards,
lawas collections
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES.
hetlaw

Postby Barwellian » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:38 pm

Thanks for that heads up....I must admit that had never come across him before as a dealer.

G
Barwellian

Return to BIMS Open Forum