identification please :)

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

identification please :)

Postby wiltshirewoodcraft » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm very happy to have found this forum as I'm failing with google to get an identification on this suspected meteorite.
Can anybody be of assistance please?

wiltshirewoodcraft

Re: identification please :)

Postby Kieron » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Sorry to disappoint, but this doesn't look like a meteorite. It does however look like 'fire-cracked' flint, which is found frequently on prehistoric sites where heated rocks were used as 'pot boilers'. The fine lines are cracks caused by the sudden cooling of the stone when it was dropped in the water.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby msg-meteorites » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting the photos :-) However i must also say that it doesn't appear meteoritic to me. I don't know anything about fire cracked flint but the curved and scalloped edges to some of the fractures do look flint like to me.

What are the circumstances of the find?

Cheers

Martin
Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA member 3387
msg-meteorites

Postby Lufha » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Makes a change to have nice clear photos though! Good job with those!

Luther
Lufha

Postby Nordor » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:59 am

Although I lack the meteorite knowledge of the other respondents, from my archaeological experience I agree with the pot boiler identification. The excellent photos appear to show a typical piece of calcined flint, ie flint which has been heated to a high temperature and plunged into water to heat it. The crackling of the stone being typical evidence of stress fractures caused by the thermal shock. The grey colour of the flint is also typical as is the spalling on the surface where cracked stone separates and fall off.

In the Neolithic and Bronze age periods, pottery was generally too fragile to be placed directly on an open fire so the pot-boiler method was adopted and used extensively, as finds such as yours demonstrate. By the Iron Age, vessels were of much better quality and metal was available.

If you found the stone in-situ, it might indicate the presence of an ancient occupation site and local archaeologists or museums would be interested to hear about it. I note the word Wiltshire in you UN. that might be significant!

Hope this helps.
Nordor

Postby David Entwistle » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi,

I see that the item is also discussed on the Natural History Museum NaturePlus forum. The initial conclusion appears consitent, which is good to see.
David Entwistle

Return to BIMS Open Forum