IAA Lecture "What meteorites tell us...." 19th Nov 2014

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

IAA Lecture "What meteorites tell us...." 19th Nov 2014

Postby David Entwistle » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:52 pm

I'm delighted to pass on that the Irish Astronomical Association lecture for the 19th November 2014 will be presented by Dr Mike Simms and will be What meteorites tell us about the early Solar System? See link for details.

How can we determine the age of a meteorite, or even the Solar System? How can we unravel the processes that formed Earth and the rest of the Solar System from the primordial dust cloud? The presence, or absence, of particular elements and isotopes in meteorites and their components, and the physics and chemistry of those elements, provides abundant clues to what happened in those first few million years.

Ulster Museum Palaeontologist Dr Mike Simms is also one of the UK's foremost experts on meteorites and will explain all in this lecture which is bound to provide a fascinating account of what we can learn from rocks from space!

This lecture will as usual be in the Bell Lecture theatre, Physics building, main QUB Campus.
David Entwistle

Re: IAA Lecture "What meteorites tell us...." 19th Nov 2014

Postby Barwellian » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:40 pm

And the day after he is at Derby University lecturing in Derby...hoping to get to it...

The Student Geol. Soc. have finally booked the services of Dr Mike Simms (Ulster Museum) for what I’m sure will be a fascinating talk on Thursday at 6 pm - .

Mike will have plenty to say about the spectacular impact-related deposits in the Mesoproterozoic Stoer Group of the NW Highlands, which students have seen (or will see) on the Assynt excursion. He will no doubt also cover other evidence of impacts in Great Britain.

Mike gave the Annual Address at BSRG two years ago on this topic and I know that his thinking his moved on since then. Be prepared for some stimulating and well-presented ideas – I believe he may suggest the actual site of the Mesoproterozoic impact!

The Facebook notification gives the room as N101 rather than T112 (as on the poster). If students query this, tell them to go to T112. I anticipate that N101 will not be big enough. If the capacity of T112 is exceeded we can move to T201 or T204, both of which are free from 5 pm.

Graham
Barwellian

Return to BIMS Open Forum