Meteorite Etching service?

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Meteorite Etching service?

Postby howardite » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:48 pm

Hello all

I'm new to the forums and I'm looking for a meteorite etching service in the UK. I have done a search through the forums and nothing has come up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance
Founder of Howardites http://www.howardites.com

We are developing a great new project which is open for public registration, we hope to be live for selling in January 2016. For more information please email me or register at www.howardites.com/auctions/
howardite

Re: Meteorite Etching service?

Postby Kieron » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:01 pm

To be honest, I am not aware of anyone doing this commercially in the UK. If you could cast your net wider, you might consider someone like Mirko Graul in Germany.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby Barwellian » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:11 am

As Kieron says, I am not aware of anyone offering it as a service in the UK.

G
Barwellian

Postby msg-meteorites » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:38 pm

I have polished and etched specimens for myself but would not want to offer this out as service at this stage. I Have used Mike Millers services in the US and his work comes highly recommended :-)

Cheers

Martin
Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA member 3387
msg-meteorites

Postby Lufha » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:48 pm

Same here, I have done my own etching. However the first time I nearly blew myself up mixing the nitric acid and alcohol! Very important to mix the right way around and with exact quantities!
Lufha

Postby Lufha » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:48 pm

I'm still amazed that you can buy nitric acid on eBay...
Lufha

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:54 am

Lufha wrote:Same here, I have done my own etching. However the first time I nearly blew myself up mixing the nitric acid and alcohol! Very important to mix the right way around and with exact quantities!

There is, for anyone who hasn't read it already, a tale of a meteorite etching mishap here.
David Entwistle

Postby msg-meteorites » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:38 am

Yep, very easy to injure yourself when mixing acid with other liquids. Be careful folks and don't attempt this unless you have a good idea what you are doing. Nitric acid is nasty stuff!
Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA member 3387
msg-meteorites

Postby howardite » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies, sorry for the delay in responding, been a little busy here developing new websites. I did manage to etch my own and what a thrill it was. I will post how to do later.
Founder of Howardites http://www.howardites.com

We are developing a great new project which is open for public registration, we hope to be live for selling in January 2016. For more information please email me or register at www.howardites.com/auctions/
howardite

Return to BIMS Open Forum