COMOS 2015 Star Party

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

COMOS 2015 Star Party

Postby djmcsc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:19 am

Hi,
If anyone is in Ireland near Athlone between 17th and 19th April, this might be of interest.

http://www.midlandsastronomy.com/cosmos ... osmos.html

What it doesn't say as part of the exhibits and displays is that there will be Meteorites present. These guys were at the Galway Astronomy Festival this year and I believe they attracted quite a lot of attention.

I'll be there myself on Saturday so I don't think I'll come back empty handed. :D
Stephen
djmcsc

Re: COMOS 2015 Star Party

Postby djmcsc » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:24 am

Apologies folks the Subject should say COSMOS not COMOS.
Stephen
djmcsc

Postby djmcsc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:05 pm

So back from this event at the weekend and I have to say was well worth the visit. Some great speakers which included Brian Harvey on "China in Space" which was very interesting, John Zarnecki on space probe landings, Kate Russo on “Life as an Eclipse Chaser” and Steve Richards on Astrophotography. I didn’t get to stay for the Sunday talks which Nick Howes was speaking. So the meteorites section covers a vast range of specimens which I have to say I had many frequent trips to have a look during breaks. The temptation to spend was so great but I had to refrain. Many types were present from Hammer stones, many NWA’s classified and a few unclassified with a 1.5kg unclassified (didn’t get a pic), Natan Iorns, Sikhote-Alin, Mars and Moon fragments, Agoudal, Libyan Desert Glass, Chelyabinsk and many more I just can’t remember. At least 60 pieces on display and for sale. I myself picked up a 51.3g NWA XXX and a Claxton frag piece. The down side is that the display was in the same room where the talks were which unless you had paid to be in the talks, you would not have seen them. Such a shame for the general public but might be something for the event organiser’s suggestion box for next year.

On an additional note the organisers held a raffle for a telescope (Skywatcher Explorer MN190 without the mount) which was kindly donated by a gentleman that no longer has use for it. And to my own surprise I got a call from a buddy to say I had won (pays to stick your name on the back of the ticket). Flabbergasted is an understatement. It’s a piece of kit that is well outside my requirements so I’d hope to resell (plans already in motion). And before I’ve even parted with it, flight tickets to go to Cosmic Con has been booked, Meteorite Men Ticket will be next. And I understand that the BIMS will be there with a display of Meteorites so I'll be popping over to say hello. So really looking forward to getting across to this in June now.
Stephen
djmcsc

Postby Barwellian » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:56 pm

Great stuff Stephen...sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for reporting on it. Look forward to seeing you at our BIMS meteorite display at Cosmic Con.
Where will you be traveling from?

Cheers,

Graham
Barwellian

Postby djmcsc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi Graham, good time it was. I'm flying out of Dublin Saturday morning and back that night.
Stephen
djmcsc

Return to BIMS Open Forum