Visitor Centre for Gancedo, Chaco Province, Argentina?

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Visitor Centre for Gancedo, Chaco Province, Argentina?

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:27 am

I'm not sure of the details, as it is in Spanish and not very detailed, but from the report in Diario Norte, work will be starting on, what I take to be a visitor centre, at Gancedo, Chaco Provinve, Argentina. That's the area where the Campo del Cielo meteorites come from and the Campo del Cielo crater is located.
Last edited by David Entwistle on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Entwistle

Re: Visitor Centre for Gancedo, Chaco Province, Argentina?

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:22 am

There's an update on progress in Diario Norte - it is in Spanish, but I gather that:

Work on the new entrance will be finished in October. The entrance will feature five columns of 18, 16, 8, 7 and 5 meters height. The columns will carry cross sections of meteorites (the larger Campo del Cielo fragments?). They will be arranged to give the impression of an object approaching from the distance.
    The Interpretation Centre will be a two floor underground-facility of 240 square metres floor space. Here sound and images will be displayed to recreate the fall of a meteorite.
    The existing ("tribunas") stands or galleries(?) will be moved to where one of the meteorites actually fell.
David Entwistle

Postby David Entwistle » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:03 am

There's another update on progress from Diario Norte. I gather the park will be open to the public in November 2015.
David Entwistle

Postby Barwellian » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Must try and get to that area one day...thanks for the info Dave.
Barwellian

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:14 am

There are a couple of reports that phase 1 of the Chaco "Parque Científico y Educativo" has opened.

David Entwistle

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:14 pm

Diario Norte report on the inauguration of the new centre here and here. Pictures from Diario Norte.

David Entwistle

Return to BIMS Open Forum