Need an Iron Meteorite Machined?

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Need an Iron Meteorite Machined?

Postby David Entwistle » Sun May 10, 2015 8:59 am

If you need your iron meteorite machining into an intricate shape, then Barnstaple-based ND Precision Products can help.

33 Meteorite Bracelet North Devon Precision, Barnstaple have the job of precion cutting a Gibeon Meteorite to make special bracelets Cameron Squire Tool Room Apprentice Nick Squire MD Picture: Mike Southon Ref: BNMS20140207C-004_C

More here and here.
David Entwistle

Re: Need an Iron Meteorite Machined?

Postby Barwellian » Sun May 10, 2015 10:41 am

Interesting technology....not too sure what I think about doing that to a very nice gibeon meteorite....wonder what they do with the left over piece...that might be a very interesting artifact to have.

G
Barwellian

Re: Need an Iron Meteorite Machined?

Postby David Entwistle » Sun May 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Barwellian wrote:Interesting technology....not too sure what I think about doing that to a very nice gibeon meteorite....wonder what they do with the left over piece...that might be a very interesting artifact to have.

Hi Graham,

The last link above suggests 500 units of the bracelet will be produced. So I guess, if production reaches those numbers, they'll need a few meteorites and there'd be quite a bit of spoil. This report makes me think it unlikely the demand will be that great. It could be worth contacting NDPP to let them know you may be interested, if the senturian doesn't hit the numbers. I've recently developed nickel sensitivity, so a £62,000 nickel-iron bracelet probably isn't for me. At least for that price you can be pretty sure it won't rust?...

While on the subject of meteorite machining, I see Accurate Cutting Services have cut meteorites for the NHM.

Do we know any other UK and Ireland based meteorite-related services?
David Entwistle

Return to BIMS Open Forum