Help with meteorite ID, please

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Help with meteorite ID, please

Postby Kieron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:31 pm

Hello Folks,

The second meteorite I ever bought (from a gem shop in Cromer) came out of a little paper bag that contained about two dozen similar-sized samples. The shop assistant didn't know the provenance but thought that they were from China, so in my naivete I assumed it was a Nantan. As I learned more I began to have my doubts, and I now think it is unlikely to be a Nantan. I have my suspicions about it, but thought I would canvas opinion here. Any suggestions?
Attachments
002 web.jpg
Kieron

Re: Help with meteorite ID, please

Postby ALEX » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Would pass for a Sikhote on ebay,thats for sure!
ALEX

Postby Kieron » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Cheers Alex. Yes, that would be my guess too. I can't think of any other irons that are sold from a sweetie bag for a fiver each :D

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby ALEX » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:56 am

We have met on the yahoo site,been on here for a few years now,clicked on the yahoo site and realized id missed the transition!
ALEX

Postby Kieron » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Alex,

Yes, I did make the connection, eventually :D
Kieron

Postby msg-meteorites » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:29 am

Welcome back Alex and back into the wonderful world of rocks from space! :-)

Cheers

Martin
Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA member 3387
msg-meteorites

Postby ALEX » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks Martin,this is one of them things that once your interested in,your always interested in!
ALEX

Postby Barwellian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi Kieron, all,

Does look like a sikhote alin to me. In fact it seems to have some small round features that look almost like the mini impact craters you get occasionally on SAs.....have you got any more detailed shots of those features. If so it is a much rarer sample. I have only one with such a feature caused by small pieces hitting each other after fragmentation.

Made it back from a fantastic time at Glastonbury and now trying to keep my eyes open whilst catching up on emails/posts etc

Graham
Barwellian

Postby Kieron » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi Graham,

Interesting suggestion. Here is a digital enlargement with a ring around the area I think you mean. If I am wrong, please let me know. Also, if you think it is worth pursuing I will take some extreme close-ups of the relevant area.

Regards, Kieron
Attachments
002 Sikhote Alin ringed.jpg
Kieron

Postby ALEX » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Ive just opened the meteorite market sikhote page,just out of curiousity,has there is a selection of individuals and fragments.I think Kierons meteorite has individual characteristics,but probably took a good hammering has it broke up in the atmosphere,definately been rounded off by high heat,maybe the holes could simply be ablation cavities.Nothing to conclude that it is a sikhote,without it being analized,just looks like one,interesting though!!
ALEX

Next

Return to BIMS Open Forum