Millbillillie

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Millbillillie

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:14 pm

Manchester Museum's Millbillillie 14.4 g slice, purchased at the Tucson show in 1999.

Millbillillie.JPG
N15104

Name: Millbillillie
    This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
    Abbreviation: There is no official abbreviation for this meteorite.
    Observed fall: Yes
    Year fell: 1960

Classification: Eucrite-mmict
David Entwistle

Re: Millbillillie

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:57 am

[Corrections and additions welcomed to this bit... ]

As I understand it, the classification (Eucrite-mmict) shows that Millbillillie originated from a solar system body (possibly the minor planet Vesta) large enough to form a molten core, and for long enough to allow an iron core to separate from magma formed from molten rock. Being heavy, the iron core settled to the centre of the body, and the lighter magma floated around it in a process know as differentiation. It was the magma bit that then cooled and became the rock that forms the Eucrite meteorites. It was a chunk of this rock that was ejected during a subsequent impact and spent an age orbiting the Sun before crashing to Earth, in the case of Millbillillie, in 1960.

So, the Eucrites look similar to the basalt rocks that form in a similar way on Earth.
David Entwistle

Postby msg-meteorites » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:50 pm

Sounds right to me David :-)

A pretty neat succinct summing up of the process :-)

Cheers

Martin
Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA member 3387
msg-meteorites

Postby David Entwistle » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:39 am

msg-meteorites wrote:A pretty neat succinct summing up of the process :-)

Thanks Martin.

I have to say the Millbillillie slice doesn't look like a typical terrestrial basalt to me - it's got a coarser grain than the basalts I've seen, but I guess there's a lot more to a basalt than its appearance.

A quick search of NASA ADS suggests The eucrite / Vesta story, by Michael J Drake, as suitable source of further reading for anyone interested in getting a bit more detail. :geek:
David Entwistle

Return to BIMS Open Forum