Any ideas please?????

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Any ideas please?????

Postby mal66parker » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:49 pm

Hi
I have recently joined this Forum as it looks like it is the best there is, thank you for allowing me to join!
ok, here goes -I recently found this object while metal detecting, and thought THATS HEAVY, then i thought its come up on my detector as some form of signal, but hey my pin pointer does not register it as metal and it looks like a rock. Further research over the last week and i know a fair bit about meteorites now and Chondrites and what they are.
Cutting a very long story a bit shorter. after my extensive research it has now led me to believe i have a Chondrite and possible CO C1 Carbonatious Chondrite
My main thought is after my scientific way of getting to 3.35grams per Cubic cm with water many bowls and scales, it is the correct weight. too heavy for terrestrial rock and too light for metallic iron ore or such. It is only slightly magnetic especially with the strongest magnet I had. It is highly conductive on my detector. I have cut a piece off and filed/polished the best I can. The pictures I have looked at look very similar to pics I have seen, especially a Kainsaz Chondrite. However i'm not sure what the condrules are meant to look like as i know on a CO they are tiny and a C1 they are non existent. I have attached some pictures of my item and the small piece after polishing and a close up. I hope there is someone who could read this (yes i know its a long post) but someone said i need to give all the information I have.
Thanks for reading and appreciate all you people out there who will know a lot more about it the me.
Oh and the full piece is 2100 grams and the small piece is 25grams
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo (2).JPG
photo (3).JPG
mal66parker

Re: Any ideas please?????

Postby Barwellian » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:49 am

Hi...welcome to the forum.

Your sample does not look like the usual slag that gets mistaken for a meteorite...but could be some form of basalt, which can show on metal detectors...
The close up photo seems to have some strange colour aberration which makes it difficult to make out the detail. It would be very unusual to find a surviving rare carbonaceous meteorite so unlikely...but the only real way to find out is to submit it for analysis to a lab.

I am taking samples for study to the OU on Tuesday, but regularly visit as I have many samples under analysis at the moment if you want me to get your sample looked at, but my guess is that it will be basalt without seeing it close up.

Let me know if you want someone at the University to look at it and that can be arranged.

Cheers,

Graham
Barwellian

Re: Any ideas please?????

Postby mal66parker » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi Graham
I would be glad to get this looked at and analyse, and thank you for the offer to do so. Unfortuanetely as Tuesday is tomorrow it looks like it would be impossible to get a piece to you. Next time you are going perhaps we could arrange something between us as I have no idea how to go about this. I live in Norwich Norfolk by the way.
Thanks Graham
mal66parker

Return to BIMS Open Forum