Newb opinions on whatever this maybe please

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Newb opinions on whatever this maybe please

Postby PH12FAT » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:03 am

Ok so I know it's like 1 in 10000 chance that what came shooting out the sky and punched a hole in my new garden fence is a meteorite but, there's always going to be a niggling doubt in my mind if I don't ask for someone's opinion.
The basic story goes like this woken In night a month or so ago by a bang got up went downstairs couldn't see much so went back to bed. Next morning opens the blinds to find a hole approx 35cm in length and 10cm across in the new garden fence so after a little investigation I found a couple of small magnetic jet black stones ? Ok one of them looks a bit like a piece of slag? But the other on was different lots of colourful little markings after I filed it down metallic pieces glissaning and attracted to a magnet it was then I spotted a hole in the mud just near the fence slightly angled and approx 45cm deep. I shun a torch down only to find this a small black with crust it had a small tail on it at one end and rounded at the other I again sliced a bit open to find a greeny coloured rock full of what look like chondrules maybe and under the light the rest of the stone looks to have these markings.
So if you would be so kind as to put me out of my misery and give your opinions please also the fence where it's broken has what appears to be a burn mark to the top corner?
I am certain that one maybe two are slag but others not sure the small one has definitely fallen out the sky and something put the hole in my fence also possibly out the sky
PH12FAT

Re: Newb opinions on whatever this maybe please

Postby Kieron » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Interesting story. If you can provide some images (close up and in focus) someone here will be able to help.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby PH12FAT » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:31 pm

Lol ok I did attach several images but must have done something wrong I'll try again ok I'm on an iPad how do I resize the images it keeps saying file is too big
PH12FAT

Postby PH12FAT » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:42 pm

Apologies if I've done this wrong but please try links below and as I've said before I think maybe one or two are slag but the rock that is small is I think interesting found at bottom of a small deep hole close to hole in fence please note this rock is not magnetic and when ground back produced very light brown dust and also had a tail at the back that I also removed but still have :idea:

PH12FAT

Postby Kieron » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:59 pm

As you say, the larger pieces with glassy surfaces and obvious holes (vesicles) are definitely some kind of industrial residue (slag, or similar). Difficult to say about the smaller piece, although if it was a recent fall I would have expected it to have a dark grey or black surface (the fusion crust). Probably not a meteorite, but see what others have to say.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby Barwellian » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi...I am in agreement with Kieron about the ones that are slag....but difficult to tell about the other from the photos...could do with some better close ups really to tell...not all meteorites are attracted to magnets.

Where do you live?...can be much easier to tell from seeing the actual stones.

Cheers,

Graham
Barwellian

Postby PH12FAT » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:09 am

Thanks guys I live in nottingham if that's any good to anyone I'll attempt to get sum better pics maybe invest in a digital camera rather than the iPad or iPhone. How hard are the fusion crust normally? Also very strange how the other pieces were just laying there around the hole in fence on top of freshly moved topsoil? If the others are slag then I guess the abandond house the other side of the fence must be worth a scout around maybe? Anyway thanks for the advice/comments I will try to get you some better pics
PH12FAT

Postby PH12FAT » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:19 am

Just quickly forgot to add that it was when I found it a black colour you can see this in a photo of the piece I removed as other than soapy water its remained untouched. The rest however has been in a vinegar and bleach very briefly and this has changed its appearance slightly after all if it is a meteorite it's from space and I'm not to sure I'd want that in my house with out a good bit of mild acid or bleach clean probably gona get shouted at for that ?
PH12FAT

Postby Barwellian » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:46 pm

Not a particularly a good idea to use anything/chemical etc on a meteorite at all....they are perfectly safe to be in the house.

I live quite near you if you want to meet up and show me the samples...let me know...I sent you a personal message.

Graham
Barwellian

Return to BIMS Open Forum