Katie Paterson: CAMPO DEL CIELO, FIELD OF THE SKY

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Katie Paterson: CAMPO DEL CIELO, FIELD OF THE SKY

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:45 am

There's a very nice video documenting the whole process of moulding, cutting, melting, casting and cleaning the Campo del Cielo meteorite for Katie Paterson's piece for the Exhibition Road Show. See here for the video. See here for the Katie Paterson's web page, for this work, and here for the Exhibition Road Show web site.
David Entwistle

Re: Katie Paterson: CAMPO DEL CIELO, FIELD OF THE SKY

Postby Barwellian » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:43 am

I've done a lot of casting years back and that one looks really bad....full of bubbles around the surface and lack of detail....but know doubt she will have some comment to make about it which justifies that if questioned!!!....I still think the message she is trying to get across is lessened by recasting rather than doing something creative with it in it's original form.

G
Barwellian

Postby karmaka » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Barwellian wrote:I still think the message she is trying to get across is lessened by recasting rather than doing something creative with it in it's original form.
G

I couldn't agree more, G !!!

M
karmaka

Postby David Entwistle » Thu May 07, 2015 7:53 pm

Space artist nominated for prestigious prize...

Katie Paterson’s ESA-supported work Campo del Cielo, Field of the Sky – which included a symbolic return to space for a chunk of meteorite – has been shortlisted for the International Prize for Contemporary Art, granted by the Foundation Prince Pierre de Monaco.

Inspired by dreams of space exploration, Scottish artist Katie Paterson, then based in Berlin, imagined sending a piece of her meteorite artwork back to space in a celebration of science, art and human technology.

In 2014, ESA helped to make this a reality, when a fragment of the original 4.5-billion-year-old meteorite that comprises Campo del Cielo, Field of the Sky, was taken to the International Space Station inside the Agency’s Automated Transfer Vehicle.
David Entwistle

Return to BIMS Open Forum