130831 - Image of the Month for September

BIMS news forum, these are the items you read on the main BIMS page. BIMS members please feel free to add comments and discuss the items in this forum.

130831 - Image of the Month for September

Postby Matt Smith » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:43 pm

A lowly unclassified NWA for you all this month (I feel free to describe it as that since it's one of my own!). It's mass is 114g and it's heavily weathered. However, it's of interest for two reasons. Firstly, it's likely to be a CV3 meteorite as it's a very close visual match to several other weathered NWA CV3's that were coming out of the region a few years ago. Secondly, and of more interest, is the possible foliation indicated by the flattened chondrules that appear aligned with their longest axis almost horizontal in this image. Click here to view the image in the Gallery or here for our archive of all previous "Image of the Month" images.

Unless you want me to comb through my own images next month I'll need more submissions from you all again this month!
Matt Smith
Site Admin

Re: 130831 - Image of the Month for September

Postby Barwellian » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:38 am

Nice sample Matt...will have a look through some images.

Graham
Barwellian

Re: 130831 - Image of the Month for September

Postby msg-meteorites » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Nice sample Matt, l really like the weathered CV3s as the chondrules look fantastic with their oranges and tans against the matrix :-)

I will send you some photos to give some more entries for image of the month too :-)

Cheers

Martin
Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA member 3387
msg-meteorites

Return to News