Limerick

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Re: Limerick

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:02 am

Kieron wrote:Too far south, I think. The stones are supposed to have fallen within three miles of each other. Skagh is about six or seven miles from Briska and the Faha desmesne.

I wonder if there is any chance of finding the contemporary account in the Limerick Chronicle? Must be some clues in there.

Following up on other possible sources; the Mineralogical Magazine Volume 3 provides the following information, on Page 12, regarding the Limerick fall.

The following localities are given : —

Limerick, neighbourhood of (Cat. Roy. Dub. Soc) page 151 also (Cat. Mus. Trin. Coll. Dub.) page 284
Patrick's Well, Limerick (Cat. Mus. Trin. Coll. Dub.) page 284
Adare (Cat. Trin. Coll. Dub. page 283: Brit. Mus., Vienna, &c)
Faha (Cat. Brit. Mus.)
Scagh (Rep. Brit. Assoc, 1860, p. 65.)
Brasky (Phillips's Mineralogy by Phillips, Brooke and Miller.) page 134

I've had a look through those I could find on line and they don't provide any additional information regarding the location of the Limerick falls, but they do provide interesting historical context.
Last edited by David Entwistle on Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Entwistle

Postby MeteoritesEire » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:45 pm

I have a friend who lives in Adare although he has settled there from England.I was down there last November for the first time and it a lovely part of Ireland.Will likely be going down this November again for the Irish Pinball tournament which he holds at his house and I will make a point to get some pics of the town sign at least and have a good old nose around with regards to the meteorite.When I was there last November I hadn't realised that Adare was a landing point for any stones.
MeteoritesEire

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:36 pm

David Entwistle wrote:I see from Appendix k that what was originally "Pobuck's Well" and then "Patrick's Well" has now become "Patrick's Hill".... :?

As it is Saint Patrick's day...

Just in case Caroline Countess of Dunraven meant to write "Patrick's Hill" and that wasn't a mistake, I've had a look at the terrain in the area. There are only a couple of areas which may have been referred to as Patrick's Hill and the most likely would seem to be the area of higher ground to the west of modern day Patrickswell.

terrain.jpg
Local terrain
Last edited by David Entwistle on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Entwistle

Postby Barwellian » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi all,

Anyone know which of the 4 museums in Dublin might have meteorites on display?....heading through there in May and thought I might be able to feed my habit on route!

Graham
Barwellian

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:44 am

Barwellian wrote:Anyone know which of the 4 museums in Dublin might have meteorites on display?....heading through there in May and thought I might be able to feed my habit on route!

Hi Graham,

I certainly think it would be worth visiting the Geology Museum of Trinity College, Dublin - I don't know exactly what they have on display, but their asset list includes meteorites and they are mentioned a few times on the web site.

I understand that the Natural History Museum has recently been refurbished, so it'd be worth checking the current status with respect to any meteorites on display. The last correspondence I had with them was in October 2011, regarding the Brasky mass of the Limerick fall - that wasn't on display, at that time. The BIMS museums page does suggest that there was a display at the Decorative Arts & History Gallery in Collins Barracks. I'd check that though, as it may well be out-of-date information. There is a web page describing it here, but it looks as though it finished in 2009. Hopefully that is related to the items moving back to display at the Natural History museum, but I'm not sure about that.

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out, as I was thinking of a visit to Ireland myself.
Last edited by David Entwistle on Sat May 19, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Entwistle

Postby Barwellian » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks David....will check those out and let you know what I found.

G
Barwellian

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Just discovered the British Geological Survey also have a range of historical geological maps, sections and memoirs of Ireland, mostly from the 19th century. Possibly worth browsing if you get an hour to spare. In relation to the Limerick fall, we're looking for the elusive (possibly mythical) "Pobuck's Well" (later Patrick's Hill) and the "Lands of Scagh", somewhere around here, in this 1860 publication....
David Entwistle

Postby brasky12 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Kieron wrote:
I wonder if there is any chance of finding the contemporary account in the Limerick Chronicle? Must be some clues in there.

Yes gentlemen, the Limerick Chronicle account is available here, and also the Limerick Evening Post version.

Here are the excerpts of interest to us :

Chronicle -

So we can see that 'Pobuck's Well' is an errata in the 1818 account :roll:

Post -

It would indeed be interesting to solve the riddle of the Limerick Stone(s), approaching as we are the bicentenary of that historic fall.
brasky12

Postby Kieron » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks, Brasky12 - although I have seen these accounts already. Myself and another BIMS member have been working on a Limerick article that we hope to publish in time for the anniversary. Watch this space!

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby brasky12 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Look forward to it Kieron - especially anything re the missing 24-pounder... :?
brasky12

PreviousNext

Return to BIMS Open Forum