Limerick

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Limerick

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:43 am

Realizing that I didn't know much about the fall at Limerick in 1813, I've tracked down an on-line copy of the original report, Account of a Shower of Meteoric Stones which fell in the County of Limerick, taken from the Philosophical Magazine and Journal, Volume LI, 1818. The scan is made available courtesy of Google Books and Princeton University Library.
David Entwistle

Re: Limerick

Postby Kieron » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Interesting read, David.

I was inspired to try to plot the fall sites, but I can't find Brasky (aka Briskagh). It is supposed to have been to the north of Faha, but doesn't appear on Google maps or other on-line sources I have looked at. There is a Briskagh about 15 miles to the west of this map, but I am sure that isn't the right one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Attachments
Limerick map small.jpg
Kieron

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:07 am

Kieron wrote:Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hi Kieron,

In the County Limerick Meteorites, Lindsay writes:

It is known as the "Brasky" mass after the Briska Townland in Limerick in which it fell (locally Briska, pronounced as Brisky).

I haven't managed to find that yet, but this is helping.
David Entwistle

Postby Kieron » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:32 am

That's right David, but I have also seen Briska written as Briskagh. I think we need someone with access to 19th-century maps to help us out.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Kieron wrote:I think we need someone with access to 19th-century maps to help us out.

Hi Kieron,

You can browse historic maps of the region at 6" (1:10,560) and 25" (1:2,500) scales on the Ordnance Survey Ireland web site here.

Between 1829 and 1842 Ordnance Survey Ireland completed the first ever large-scale survey of an entire country. Acclaimed for their accuracy, these maps are regarded by cartographers as amongst the finest ever produced.

As the national mapping archive service for Ireland, OSi has captured this and later mapping data in a digitised format. Through this website you can view and download this data or place an order for delivery by post.

The new archive currently comprises the following series of maps:

6 inch mapping series (1:10,560) colour 1837-1842
6 inch mapping series (1:10,560) greyscale 1837-1842
25 inch mapping series (1:2,500) greyscale 1888-1913

I think we need to be look closely around here.
David Entwistle

Postby Kieron » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:46 pm

Good find David, thanks.

I see there was a Briska More and a Briska Beg. The latter was to the north of the Faha desmesne, so let's assume that was the place. I have updated my map to show Briska Beg and the Faha desmesne (George Tuthill's house). Assuming my location for the Patrick's Well stone is correct, you can see that Briska/Brasky, Faha and Patrick's Well are in a straight line, as they are supposed to have been. What I don't understand now is how 'six or seven' smaller stones fell between Patrick's Well and the village of Adare, so far off to the west.

Cheers, Kieron
Attachments
Limerick map 02 small.jpg
Kieron

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:42 am

Kieron wrote:I see there was a Briska More and a Briska Beg. The latter was to the north of the Faha desmesne, so let's assume that was the place. I have updated my map to show Briska Beg and the Faha desmesne (George Tuthill's house). Assuming my location for the Patrick's Well stone is correct, you can see that Briska/Brasky, Faha and Patrick's Well are in a straight line, as they are supposed to have been. What I don't understand now is how 'six or seven' smaller stones fell between Patrick's Well and the village of Adare, so far off to the west.

Hmmm, it does seem odd... In his letter Sam Maxwell describes:

Sir, — Friday morning, the 10th of September 1813, being very calm and serene and the sky dear, about nine o'clock a cloud appeared in the east, and very soon after I heard eleven distinct reports, appearing to proceed from thence, somewhat resembling the discharge of heavy artillery. Immediately after this followed a considerable noise not unlike the beating of a large drum, which ' was succeeded by an uproar resembling the continued discharge of musquetry in line. The sky above the place whence this noise appeared to issue became darkened and very much disturbed, making a hissing noise ; and from thence appeared to issue with great violence different masses of matter, which directed their course with great velocity in a horizontal direction towards the west.

and

Six or seven more of the same kind of masses, but smaller, and fractured, as if shattered from each other or from larger ones, descended at the same time, with great velocity, in different places between the lands of Scagh and the village of Adare.

No, I don't understand why the smaller masses would finish up travelling further along the meteoroid's trajectory, than the larger masses, either. I suppose a low-altitude terminal burst is a possibility. Anyone know of any modern reports of terminal burst, at low altitude? The only one that springs to mind is the Taranaki Daylight Fireball of 1999 July 7. I think that's one, but I haven't read it for a while - nothing recovered, as I recall?...

It's all very interesting - I can see I'm going to have to buy the maps and spend some time on this...
David Entwistle

Postby Kieron » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:11 am

From the apparent alignment of the larger masses I would have to say that the trajectory must have been more SE to NW, than east to west. Obviously a cross wind from the east would have the effect of carrying smaller meteorites further to the west, but I am not sure how far. But then as you quoted, the day was 'very calm and serene'.

The location of the Patrick's Well/Scagh fall needs further work. I can't see Scagh on the OS map, and it doesn't come up as a search item in Limerick.

I will give this some more thought later, when I have woken up a bit!

Cheers, Kieron
Kieron

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Kieron wrote:The location of the Patrick's Well/Scagh fall needs further work. I can't see Scagh on the OS map, and it doesn't come up as a search item in Limerick.

Hi,

Not sure, but "lands of Scagh" may just refer to scrubland, or lands of hawthorne?...

The original text refers to:

One of these was observed to descend ; it fell to the earth, and sunk into it more than a foot and a half,on the lands of Scagh in the neighbourhood of Pobuck's Well, in the county of Limerick.

At some point this seems to have become:

One of these was observed to descend; it fell to the earth, and sank into it more than a foot and a half, on the lands of Scagh, in the neighbourhood of Patrick's Well, in the county of Limerick.

The later version is taken from here.
Last edited by David Entwistle on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Entwistle

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:42 pm

David Entwistle wrote:Not sure, but "lands of Scagh" may just refer to scrubland, or lands of hawthorne?...

When searching for Scagh, my TomTom helpfully suggested "Skagh", north of Croom and just south-east of Adare.
David Entwistle

Next

Return to BIMS Open Forum