Buying a large Campo del Cielo

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Buying a large Campo del Cielo

Postby johnshap » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 am

Hi to everyone.

I've just joined, but I've had an interest in Iron Meteorites for about 25 years. I bought a copy of the excellent 3 volume handbook of Iron Meteories by Buchwald then, to help me on my university dissertation on the subject.

I've only recently started collecting meteorites, mostly irons. I have quite a few specimens, but I'm after bigger.
I've ordered from Spacerocksuk.com and I've got some good items. I've also ordered a few items from German dealers.

I'm thinking of ordering a large (5kg+) Campo del Cielo from jlacroix1 on eBay. Any thoughts or advice? I see he is an ICMA member.
Am I correct in thinking meteorites should be charged 5% VAT when imported from the US to the UK?
I hope my item doesn't get overcharged or delayed in customs.
The commodity code to use is 9705.00.0090 I think.

Thanks

John
johnshap

Re: Buying a large Campo del Cielo

Postby johnshap » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks for the offer of a Campo, I don't seem to be able to reply to the message.

I have now ordered a 6.5kg Campo from the USA. I ordered quickly in case the pound fell against the dollar due toe the General Election being announced.

Thanks.
johnshap

Postby Barwellian » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 pm

Hope all goes well with your purchase and importing. I'm sure the members here at BIMS would be interested in seeing it when it arrives. Please post some photos if you can and if you ever need any more help meteorite wise please don't hesitate to ask.

Graham
Barwellian

Postby Nigel Telford » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi, did you end up paying 5% VAT or 20%, I'm also wondering about importing a similar item.

Thanks Nigel
Nigel Telford

Return to BIMS Open Forum